Conservative Poker Fan in "The Biz"

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Links explanation

I figure I should put some kind of explanation for the links I've provided somewhere, so here at the beginning of my journey seems like a fine place for that....

Hugh Hewitt - A conservative with an all too rare quality; practicality. He calls it as it is, then explains how it's going to affect you. Great radio show as well. You can listen online from anywhere by visiting his site, clicking the "listen online" link, then head over to 870am KRLA; they provide 24 hour repeats of the previous day's show.

Victor Davis Hanson - The only way to describe the man is utterly brilliant. He combines an unbelievable grasp of the world and an uncanny ability to write about it in a way that keeps your interest. His writing is very often inspiring and always right on the money.

Dennis Prager - Dennis is obsessed with right and wrong; he wishes to praise right and condemn wrong at every possiblity. Less political than most radio hosts, he is always thoughtful and is constantly surprising me with a new take on the issues of the day. His radio show can also be heard through the KRLA 870am web site.

Mark Steyn - A real international writer, he writes for no less than 5 publications on an ongoing basis and covers America, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia. He brings a sharp, funny wit to his sharp, insightful commentary.

Powerline - A trio of bloggers whose takes on issues of the day are often the final word on said issues. They have an uncanny ability to look at polls and extract information from them that I have yet to see on any other site. They also bring a passion for their love of freedom and liberty that is infectious.

Showbiz Data - I know, I know, a bit of a curveball in the links starting with this one. I work in the entertainment industry (no, I'm not famous, I'm a finance guy), and as such like to keep up on the latest news. I chose to highlight this site because it's front page, every day, will have an article that illuminates an area of the industry. It is not filled with the gossip that Variety and Hollywood Reporter fill their pages with, and bring a business sense of presenting the news in this highly creative industry.

O Entertainment - Actually, this is who I work for....go ahead, take a look at the front page and come right back, I'll wait.....
I know, weird, huh? That is actually my boss' face on the front page (brain was borrowed from somewhere else). He's been an A-list writer/director for about 7 years now (Bruce Almighty, Patch Adams, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and much more); haven't heard of him? That's okay, not many people have. Just remember the name, because you will know it, whether you want to or not, in the years to come.

Day by Day Cartoon - This is a cartoon I found through Powerline, actually. I find it funny, and to find a political cartoon that isn't hard left made me happy, so I make sure to check it out.

Micro League Baseball Association - Forgive the indulgence, but I couldn't resist including a hobby of mine that is one of my favorite things ever. I've been involved for about 10 years now. We basically draft our own baseball team based on the player's stats from the previous season. We then load those teams into the Strat-O-Matic computer game and "play" a full 162 game schedule with our teams. Basically, every week a batch of 7 games is run automatically. What's fun about that? Well, every month all of us geek owners get together at one of our homes and play the games "live," meaning we act as the manager for every play of the games for that week. I've loved baseball since I can remember (where were you when Gibson hit his homerun, or Reuss threw his no-hitter?). It's great fun, and it's a great group of guys, so I had to share it with everyone out there.

That's my link rundown....for now. More to come when I post more links; seems logical.