Conservative Poker Fan in "The Biz"

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Farewell, Gipper

Yesterday brought sad news of the death of Ronald Reagan. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Reagan family.

If any one man deserves credit for showing America and her people of the greatness they could achieve, he is that man.

Coming on the heels of President Nixon's resignation and President Carter's apologistic incompetence, President Reagan gave America new hope in a very troubled time of it's history. He led the charge against the Soviet empire at a time when appeasement and detente (at the least) were the fads of the day. He never wavered in his unbridled support of freedom the world over.

I feel a personal connection with President Reagan because I fervently believe my family was able to accomplish what it has because of his policies and belief in the American people. Neither of my parents went to college, but through good old fashioned hard work and discipline have been able to give to their family the opportunities for success that America promises to anyone willing to work for it. My parents, of course, get all the credit for working hard to make their dreams a reality, but I have felt, for quite some time, that the policies instituted by President Reagan had an absolutely direct impact on my parents ability to reach their dreams.

I was only 10 years old when President Reagan took office, but it was when he took office that I started to pay attention to the greater issues in not just politics, but life.

I know I am not alone.