Conservative Poker Fan in "The Biz"

Friday, June 18, 2004

Brother suffers a bad beat

There are few things in the world more annoying than a really, really bad poker player getting extremely lucky. One thing that is more annoying than that is when that really, really bad player thinks they are really, really good.

My brother was in a poker tournament just yesterday and was one of the chip leaders with about 60,000 in chips. To his right was the overall chips leader with about 75,000 in chips. After the chip leader limped in, my brother posted a huge raise before the flop. The chip leader called. The flop came out, and my brother bet another 15,000 in chips. The chip leader thought for a second, then called. The turn came out and my brother went all in for the remaining 19,000+ chips he had. The other guy is sitting there thinking and thinking, and both my brother and I knew he was on a draw. The guy calls.

My brother shows his hand - K K. The guy shows his hand - 5 6 of hearts. Guess what happens next? The river brings a third heart to the board and my brother is out of the tournament holding K K against 5 6 suited.

What really burned me up was the guy exclaiming, "Yes!" after his suck out was complete. That told me he thought it was a calculated risk that paid off.

In reality, if you had seen the hands my brother played during the tourney and paid attention, you'd see he was playing only premium hands, most often pocket pairs of Jacks or higher. The guy should've folded before the flop, then on the flop, then on the turn, but he didn't, risking almost his entire stack on nothing more than a draw.

We'll get him next time, bro.