Conservative Poker Fan in "The Biz"

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Well that's no fun

Yesterday playing poker, I ran into a classic situation of a very, very bad play beating me due to luck.

I had 6 7 of spades in the big blind. It was checked to me, so I checked to see a flop. Out came Kc 10c 8d. For those of you not that "into" poker, this was a pretty darn good flop for me. I had an inside straight draw (if a 9 came out, I would hit it) and a flush draw. There were four of us in the hand; we all checked to the button, who made a pot sized bet. I wasn't about to fold, figuring him for a pair of K's or 10's at this point. I thought I'd pay to see one more card, and if I didn't hit get out of the pot. Well the turn comes the 5c. So now I've hit my flush and have a possible straight flush going. I decide to check to try and extract a few more dollars from him, and, like clockwork, he makes another pot sized bet. I go over the top and raise it by about the pot amount. He doesn't even think and calls. The river brings the Jc; this is one of those situations where, even though you know you're beat, you have to call simply because of the pot odds involved. Sure enough, he shows the Ac with a 10d (pair of 10's on the flop, just like I thought), and he collects a pretty large pot.

In thinking about the hand, there was nothing I could have done differently except perhaps raised on the flop when I only had my draws. This may have kept him from leading out on the turn, figuring I had the flush, but I have a feeling he would have called regardless and gotten lucky anyway.

There's always next time.